Video shows electric bike battery fire explode Oldham window Leave a comment


Footage shows the terrifying moment an Oldham home’s window exploded due to an electric bike battery fire.

The video, caught on a nearby doorbell camera, shows the front window of the house in Failsworth being blown out following a blaze caused by a number of modified electric bikes.

At 5.52am on November 20, three fire engines from Hollins, Manchester Central and Philips Park fire stations responded to the fire involving the living room of a terraced house and firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to extinguish it.

Two casualties were assessed at the scene by paramedics before being taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

Greater Manchester residents are being warned by the fire service to be careful when buying, storing and charging electric bikes.

The warning comes following a similar incident in August this year where a fire – that was most likely due to an electric bike being charged – caused significant damage to a property in Manchester. 

Firefighters from Withington and Gorton were on scene for five hours as they put out the fire.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s head of prevention, area manager Billy Fenwick, said: “This incident shows the devastating effects that a fire involving an electric bike battery can have.

“Batteries can be a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short-circuited, or damaged, so it’s important to protect them against being damaged and to charge them safely.

“By following our advice on the storage and charging of electric bikes and scooters, Greater Manchester residents can help to keep themselves safe from fire.”

People are advised to only buy an electric bike or scooter, as well as chargers and batteries, from reputable retailers.

If buying an electric bike conversion kit, people are similarly urged to only buy from a reputable seller and check that it complies with British or European standards.

Safety advice issued by the fire service warns owners to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, not to overcharge, always unplug when finished and not to leave batteries to charge while asleep.

More information is available at manchesterfire.gov.uk.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SHOPPING CART

close