Family ‘lucky to escape’ after electric bike fire destroys home Leave a comment


A Merseyside family was “lucky to escape with their lives” after a fire ripped through their home.

Firefighters were called to the scene, on Shellingford Road in Huyton, on Tuesday, June 21, after the blaze started in the front room. When crews arrived, they found the two storey house well-alight.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service has since confirmed they fire was started by an electric bike. Now the force has issued an urgent warning for electric bike and scooter users to be aware of the risks involved in charging, storing and obtaining lithium-ion batteries.

READ MORE: Two shootings and armed masked gang spark new police powers in troubled area

The terraced house, in Huyton, was left severely fire damaged and is now unliveable, while all family members were treated for smoke inhalation and the youngest child needed treatment at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. A spokesperson for the fire service warned had the fire happened while the family were sleeping, the outcome may have been very different.

In a separate incident in St Helens last week, a two-storey terraced house was also left unliveable after an electric scooter being charged in a first floor bedroom caught fire in the early hours of the morning. While three weeks ago in a hotel in Hatton Garden, Liverpool, two casualties suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns to their bodies after an electric bike on charge in their hotel room caught fire. Both occupants were taken to hospital by ambulance and later discharged.



Urgent warning after a number of electric bike and scooter fires
Urgent warning after a number of electric bike and scooter fires

Merseyside fire and rescue service Area Manager for Prevention Mark Thomas said: “Electric bike and scooter batteries have become a major source of fires in the home here in Merseyside. We’re urging those who use electric bikes and scooters to protect themselves and their loved ones by adhering to the advice before we see a real tragedy occur.

“Fires caused by electric bike and scooter batteries are aggressive and can develop quickly, which is why it’s so important to ensure they are not charged unattended and always close to working smoke alarms. The incidents we’ve attended recently here in Merseyside could have been fatal if the occupants were asleep or if the properties didn’t have working smoke alarms fitted. Don’t let it happen to you.”

READ NEXT: Drug courier’s five word confession after being caught in a taxi

Liverpool cartel ‘linked’ to cocaine bricks by ‘logo’ on two tonne shipment

Drivers watch on as masked man with ‘huge knife’ runs into road outside pub

Dad, 73, attacked by gang of 15 kids while out alone on his bike

Slow driver arrested after ignoring police on motorway





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

SHOPPING CART

close