Electric-powered devices have been known to give consumers a new way of living, particularly when it comes to addressing concerns about pollution. However, there remain concerns about them, particularly on the batteries which could malfunction or at times explode.
It is a reality that most hear on mobile phones. Electric bicycles, something most are turning to these days for travel, have not been spared from it. One unfortunate mishap that happened over in Southwest China left an old lady and her grandchild in intensive care as a result of it.
In a post from the Radio Free Asia Facebook page, footage of an electric bicycle exploding drew attention with some locals calling for the ban of the e-bike being brought into residential building elevators. The bike exploded and left two people injured.
The post read: “A man in Chengdu, Sichuan Province in China, took an electric bicycle with him into an elevator on Monday. The elevator closed and as a result, the electric bicycle exploded in smoke and fire. The people were trapped inside the elevator and could not escape.”
The woman suffered burns to 75% of her body as a result of the explosion. The state of the other people was not divulged, same with the extent of the five-month-old baby’s injuries.
As a result of the incident, calls have been made to hold stricter laws on electric bicycles. Some have called on the use of smart devices on elevators to detect them and not function once they are brought inside a building via the elevator. Rather, they should be left parked outside like standard vehicles.
It is an unfortunate incident that affected the lives of an innocent old woman and a child. As of this writing, it has yet to be known if the Chinese government will raise the level of awareness or implement laws to make sure that electric bicycles would be banned from being brought in buildings via elevators for the safety of innocent locals.