‘Electric bike’ triggered blaze that tore through Sydney building Leave a comment


Residents are seen outside a Sydney terrace after fire tore through the building on Friday morning. Picture: Erin Lyons/ NCA NewsWire
Residents are seen outside a Sydney terrace after fire tore through the building on Friday morning. Picture: Erin Lyons/ NCA NewsWire

A charging electric bike may have triggered a blaze that tore through an old terrace in Sydney’s inner city.

More than 20 firefighters were called to Flinders Street in Darlinghurst, where seven residents where rescued from the inferno.

Some even clambered down from the second-storey balcony to safety.

Read Next

Fire crews have combed through all floors of the three-storey building and said all residents are accounted for, including one found around the corner.

Residents are seen outside a Sydney terrace after fire tore through the building on Friday morning. Picture: NCA NewsWire/ Erin Lyons
Residents are seen outside a Sydney terrace after fire tore through the building on Friday morning. Picture: NCA NewsWire/ Erin Lyons
Firefighters managed to help people escape the building via a balcony. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Bianca De Marchi
Firefighters managed to help people escape the building via a balcony. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Bianca De Marchi

Several residents were seen gathered out the front of the building, wrapped in towels and blankets as police questioned others.

One occupant, who preferred to remain anonymous, told NCA NewsWire the fire started in a common area and “was caused by an electric bike which was charging”.

She recalls hearing a “loud bang and sirens” which woke her.

“I opened the door and there was fire,” she said. “And the firefighters were trying to put it out.”

All residents have been accounted for, including one found a short distance from the building. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Bianca De Marchi
All residents have been accounted for, including one found a short distance from the building. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Bianca De Marchi

She said everyone escaped unharmed but it was a “scary experience”.

Acting Superintendent Anthony Metcalfe would not confirm what started the blaze but said it was lucky no one had died.

Fire investigators are on the scene and part of Flinders St has been closed to traffic.

Meanwhile, more than 100 firefighters have been called to a factory blaze in the Liverpool area.

Fire crews were called just after 5am to Hoxton Park Road in Prestons following reports of a large factory fire.

“The premises and surrounding businesses were closed at the time,” NSW Police said.

More than 100 firefighters battle factory blaze near Liverpool. Picture: NSW Fire & Rescue
More than 100 firefighters battle factory blaze near Liverpool. Picture: NSW Fire & Rescue

No injuries have been reported but two employees were evacuated and emergency services are evacuating nearby residents.

Road closures are currently in place on Hoxton Park Road and motorists are urged to consider using alternate routes and avoid the area.

More to come

Reporter

Sydney

Erin Lyons is a general news reporter for NCA NewsWire. She cut her teeth as a sports journalist in regional Victoria and has since worked across print, digital and broadcast at 10 daily, Ten News First and Lon…

Read Next



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

SHOPPING CART

close